Do you remember when you were a kid and you were horrified your parents let you watch some of these movies? This list contains the 8 movie moments that we still remember because of how terrifying they were.
1. The Scene: The boat ride from hell with all the psychedelic, swirling colors. If you don't know what we're talking about then you must not have seen the movie.
2. Why It's Terrifying: There are horrifying images flashing between the images of the fear on the characters faces as they beg to get off the boat. Then there's Willy Wonka's legitimately terrifying song about fires of hell and the grim reaper.
1. The Scene: Scar lets Mufasa fall into the stampede of animals killing him.
2. Why It's Terrifying: Scar was Mufasa's brother and he could have saved him so easily. At that point we could not figure out why he would let him go. We spent the rest of the movie simmering in hatred for Scar.
1. The Scene: The Child Catcher comes to collect the children by offering sweets.
2. Why It's Terrifying: His face popping up in the window and his resemblance to the ice cream truck man made us wary when we heard the ice cream truck coming from then on.
1. The Scene: When the huntsman allows Snow White to flee into the woods instead of cutting out her heart for the queen.
2. Why It's Terrifying: As Snow White is running through the woods there are ghosts and shadows that grab at her. It is a nightmare to be impeded as you are already running from something terrifying.
1. The Scene: When the children who skipped school to drink, gamble, and do drugs are turned into donkeys and put to work by a The Coachman.
2. Why It's Terrifying: Lots of kids do bad things every once in a while, this scene told us that if we did there would be consequences. This is less of a cautionary tale and more of a warning.
1. The Scene: When the toys we have all grown so attached to are on their way into the incinerator and all hope seems lost.
2. Why It's Terrifying: We were so invested in these toys by the third movie, and Andy's journey felt like our own, how could it all be over? Luckily the aliens stepped in to save them at just the right moment.
1. The Scene: Bambi and his mother run from the hunter and, with one shot, his mother is dead.
2. Why It's Terrifying: Bambi was pretty emotionally scarring because being so young we hadn't thought much about animals mortality, our mortality, and especially not our parents mortality.
1. The Scene: When the Wicked Witch releases her army of flying monkeys to go get Dorothy.
2. Why It's Terrifying: The monkeys were blue and could fly. They were nothing like the monkeys at the zoo. They were also way too organized, an army of any type of animal would have been scary.
Why do these movies qualify as children's movies anymore than a run of the mill horror movie? At least in a horror movie you know it's coming, these movies have terrifying parts come out of nowhere and haunt us as we try to sleep at night.